Translate this blog!

04 March 2011

Dadaism

As a self-proclaimed creative mind of sorts, I feels it's only appropriate to honor various art forms, whether or not I partake or prescribe to them.  Today I want to enlighten you to Dadaism.


This is Cabaret Voltaire (located on a little side street in Zurich, Switzerland) as it was when my mom arrived for her German adventure.  We caught a graffiti artist in action, as part of the "support local artists" initiative.  This tiny nightclub (or so defined by Wikipedia, I would consider it more of an art cafe, then again I have never been upstairs at night) which was founded by Hugo Ball and Emmy Hennings in 1916.  The cabaret began as a bit of an artist refugee, where all artists could come to express and experiment through spoken word, dance, and music.  This is considered the birthplace of Dada, as it is where Hugo Ball read the Dada Manifesto.

File:Hugo Ball Cabaret Voltaire.jpg


This is a very famous photo, and certainly not my own.  This is Hugo Ball performing a Dada reading.  His outfit is as obscure as his poem/reading was.  Dada is about sounds, and feelings... and above all forgetting about the words.  I enjoy this in the way that it forces you not to derive meaning from words (as Dada often includes no words at all, but mere vowel sounds), but just to feel.  On the other hand, it is a little silly, and admittedly so...


"How does one achieve eternal bliss? By saying dada. How does one become famous? By saying dada."
- Hugo Ball, Dada Manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!